Wednesday, June 11, 2014

STAND THEREFORE




As I age and face common health challenges, another set of scriptures are emerging as my point of reference.  When I was younger, the scriptures that talked of running races and working while it was day were my favorites.   In the 6th chapter of Ephesians we’re told to stand and put on the whole armor of God.  I envisioned myself as putting on supports covering those areas before I left the house and began my daily battle with the enemy. 

As I age, I now see the power of just being able to stand, therefore.  After an internet search, I learned approximately 300 muscles are engaged when we stand. 

In the past year, I’ve needed several braces or form of support to be able to stand without pain.  
I have a wonderful back brace that pulls together from four different directions give proper support.    

I also have weight bearing knee braces that cover 4 inches above and below the knees.  These are God sent devices.   When I use these, I can stand, walk, and move without having to stop every 2 minutes because of pain.  

Another key piece of my wardrobe is my shoes.  I found out the hard way, wearing the wrong pair can bring me down like a sack of potatoes.  The right pair of shoes helps support my back and knees, allowing me to stand for longer periods.  They may not be as pretty as the stilettos I once wore but pain has a way of sharpening your sense of reality and perspective.  When I wear all three devices, I am as straight as an arrow.  I perform specific exercises to help strengthen my weak areas. 

Just as I need these devices to operate in the natural realm, as a Christian, I can only operate in the spiritual realm successfully with the support of God.  I need to exercise my faith to grow stronger in my most vulnerable areas. 

In this uncertain time, how we cover ourselves spiritually carries over into our natural world, where many of our spiritual battles play out.  What’s important or shows victory after any battle is whose left standing.  

If you have areas of weakness that makes it difficult for you to stand, spiritually or naturally, get the support you need whether through a brace or the grace of God.  Let the scriptures show you how to get the proper support.  Make it your goal to be the last man or woman standing.



No comments:

Post a Comment