Thursday, January 2, 2020

What’s in a Name


Now everyone who knows me knows my full name. I’ve had challenges with it since kindergarten. It took two pages to write and they didn’t allow me to use my nick name. I still have a permanent dent in my finger from those large pencils we wrote with in school.


Depending on how you spell it, it can have 15 or 16 letters in it.  There are certain letters that are missing like, f, g,k,l,m, q,u,v,w,x,z, and a y depending on whose spelling you use.  


I’ve asked my mom several times what my names means and at her age, she says she doesn’t remember. I know she was an avid reader.  My father says it’s a combination of the flower.  They both said that they knew I was the last child and my name should be special, and that it is.


I’m reminded about how in the Jewish culture and all through the bible, each name is significant.  For the males, generally their sons were given the name of their father, but all names had meaning.  In the bible, one notable exception to this is the case of Zacharias and his son John the Baptist.


By naming his son a different name, the name told to him by the angel Gabriel, he broke tradition and began new distinction for that child.  We all know that John the Baptist was the forerunner of Christ and was an amazing example of dedication to Christ and the Gospel.


I know my names has opened doors for me and has set me apart in many ways.  It instills in me pride and a distinction of who I am and what I can accomplish. Its funny what a name can do.  What we call ourselves and how we see ourselves is important. It gives me the distinction of being the first with a named like that in my family, so I have many places in my family where I am the first.  I was the first to introduce salvation to my family.


What does your name mean? Have you researched other notable characters with your name? how have you made your name something to be remembered?


I believe God knows all our names.  this was proven to me once when someone came to me saying God wanted me to help them with a particular problem and he didn’t call me by my nickname, but by that name I had a hard time writing in kindergarten.  


We all have history, we all have purpose and destiny, it begins with our name. Know that God knows our name.

No comments:

Post a Comment