Thursday, October 5, 2017

FEAR FACTOR OF LIFE

I love the Fear Factor show, especially the newest version.  I learned they find out information about the contestants and tailor the challenges to their personal fears. All the episodes I saw were comprised of two-person teams.

The three challenges they face in each episode are, Beat the Beast, Face your Fear, and Final Fear.  With Beat your Beast, they consider what the contestant has listed as a dark fear and place them in a situation where they must beat or conqueror it; for example, a certain insect.  In Face your Fear, you must perform an activity to face and overcome a fear; for example, the fear of heights.  The Final Fear epitomizes the extreme and worst of all your fears and the fears of many.  You could be asked to drive a car off a cliff secured only by ropes, chains, and a bungee cord, into a large body of water, and your challenge is to escape and unlock the chains quicker than your opponent.
After my recent sabbatical ended, I noticed God had begun His own personal episode of Fear Factor in my life.  Things were revealed that I feared or were most weak to that God desired me to finally face so I could move to the next adventure in my life. 

My sabbatical theme is found in Matthew 22:37-40, Jesus said to love the Lord with all your heart, and all your soul, and all you mind.  I heard minister Christine Caine preach this as being our spiritual core. 

I found I wasn’t as close to “all” as I thought in that scripture in having the strongest spiritual core or a natural physical core for that fact. I found I was holding back in some areas, just plain broken in others, while my past wounds kept seeping into my present condition.  My spiritual core was weak and in need of strengthening

That’s when God began to send challenges to help me face those fears.  He revealed where the problem started and the solution.  Let me assure you, there are no quick fixes, some may take the same amount of time they grew, if not more to mend. 

I begin to work out and massage those hidden muscles containing years of suppressed anger, disappointments and scars with God to clean up my heart.  He alone knows and searches (Jerimiah 17:9-10) the deep secrets within it.  That’s how I face the beast.

The one thing for certain, He’s the strong man on our two-man team.  He encourages me as I face that thing that’s held me back for years and wipes my tears as I face the doubts and weaknesses that have entangled my soul. He helps me to face the fear (Ps. 34:4). 

For me, to face my final fear is to conquer and master my mind.  By doing this, I will also protect and guard my heart and soul.  The scripture is clear about the process.  It says let this mind be in you that is in Christ Jesus (Phil. 2:5).  Then it specifically states we should renew our minds (Romans 12:2).  Years of destructive and counterproductive behaviors have occurred because of the thoughts in my mind.  I’m grateful that God has given me His spirit inside my soul to deal with this, just as on Fear Factor, a contestant has been give a paddle to work through their challenge. 

Isaiah 43:1-5a lets me know that I have no reason to fear because the Lord Himself is with me.  In redeeming me, He took my place and gave me the power to overcome the things in life that cause me fear.

I am only to fear the Lord (Ps. 34:7, 9).  And that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom (Prov. 9:10).

I realize I can only overcome my fears and strengthen my spiritual core with the help of my team mate, the Almighty God. The experience I gain and relationship I build with my Father in Heaven, helps me to cast out all fear, to become the vessel He created me to be.

Have you faced and conquered your fears yet? Do you need someone to stand with you to face the overwhelming places in your life? Well I recommend Jesus because He loves you too and just waiting to join your team.

No comments:

Post a Comment